Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pai in the Sky and Cooking Class

Well hello again! I'm no back in Chang Mai after a few awesome days in the paradise that is Pai. Before I get to that, just a few words on the cooking class I took on Friday. It was great! We first went to the food market and learnt about the different types of Thai veggies and were able to walk around for a while. I love the food markets, they are a great way to see how people actually shop and what they actually eat. The class itself was fun, Thai food is so easy to make. Pretty much everything takes about a minute to cook in a hot wok. I thought there would be more foodies in the class but it seemed like it was just people looking for something to do which I thought was a bit odd. I learnt that curry shouldn't be made in a food pro but rather with a morter and pestle. I doubted the use of this kitchen instrument when I worked at the kitchenware store but now can see its utilty and am looking to get one, either here or at home. All in all it was a fun and informative day.

Pai!
So imagine the Winnipeg Folk Festival all year round in one town. Thats pretty much how I would sum up Pai. In the lonely planet they describe it as 'a beach town without the beach'. It was easily one of the most chilled out places I've ever been. Life seems to really slow down there. I met a great American couple on the ride up there and we ended up spending a couple days together. Brent and I rented motorbikes and explored the countryside on 2 wheels. It was super fun, I need a scooter. I saw a great swedish guitar player play at a great little bar called park@pai. If you're ever there you should for sure check this place out. I didn't really do that much there after Brent and Ally left, just chilled by the pool and read for while. Tomorrow I'm off to the far north in Chang Rai. I'm running out of time here so I'll post more in a couple days. Over and out!

No comments: