Friday, April 23, 2010

Some Thoughts on Thailand


I'm currently sitting at my guesthouse in Chiang Rai in the far north of Thailand and I thought I would share a few things that I've observed in the over 2 weeks that I've been in Thailand.

1) Thais love 7-11. Who knew that there would actually be a 7-11 on every street corner. When I was in Pai there were three within 4 blocks. Pai is a small place, smaller than Gimli, Manitoba. could you imagine Gimli having 3 7-11s? When it got a Mac's it was a really big deal.

2) Thais love pick-up trucks. I imagine this is what Texas is like. Actually everyone in pick-up trucks. I'm not really sure why all these Thais need these beasts but they are all driving them. Its pretty weird actually.

3) Thais are some of the most welcoming people I have ever met. Everyone here wants you to have a good time it seems. From the people at the guesthouses and hostels to the people of the street. Everyone is smiling all the time and its great to reciprocate those feelings. We call ourselves 'friendly Manitoba', but we have nothing of the friendliness of Thais. The only negative experience I've had while here was a big ass German who claimed I stepped on his heels. He just needed to chill though.

4) If you put on baby powder you'll sweat less. You see Thai people putting baby powder on their kids all the time. It actually works.

One of the weird things about Thailand and I imagine the rest of Asia as well is that as a Western white person I stick out. You can always spot the tourists because they are the non-Asian people. In Canada you probably wouldn't know if someone was a tourist because everyone is from somewhere else.

When I first got here I thought everyone was out to get me. Everyone wanted to rip me off. While there might be an element of truth to that in Bangkok the rest of the country, or the northern parts that I've seen, have been anything but that. People so inviting, great food, lots to do. So far this trip has been really fun, and I can't wait for my next chapter.

So tomorrow I venture to the town of Chiang Kong on the Loas border and then to Loas on a slow boat down the Mekong to Luang Prabang. I've only heard really great things about this voyage so hopefully it all works out. I've also heard that the boat isn't running right now...

Thats all for now, talk to you from Laos!

2 comments:

Judy Doctoroff said...

I just looked at your pictures on facebook. I can't get over how amazing they are. The picture of the spider is so special. Thank goodness the internet makes this easy to do!

Anonymous said...

You have lost your mind!